Thursday, July 19, 2007

PASSION, GOALS,AMBITIONS,ASTROLOGY.............

I just got back from college and i want to share with u a very touching incident that happened in the college today. It is about my very good friend sharath. i am writing it very casually in direct speech coz people will have a feel about what happened :)
I don how to introduce sharath to you. To put it in a very simple way he is a photo copy of me. so people who know about me can figure out who sharath is... but for people who don know me here i go.... sharath is a very good wildlife enthusiast and a good naturalist. He does wildlife photography with his cool D SLR's and big bazookas. He is so very addicted to it and he never listens to even the good lectures in my zoology department coz most of the time he will be reading books and papers on wildlife, photography etc. He literally breathes wildlife and is very keen in pursuing his career as a naturalist|wildlife photographer|film maker. ok.....enough introducing him.let me come to the senario.
English class was going in the 170 years old gallery room of Madras Christian College. The accoustics is so well made that even a small pin drop in the front row can be heard at the back,20 rows away from the front. The class was silent as my favourite english prof was teaching a poem " Thought fox". When i entered the class i couldn find sharath. I thought he should be somewhere out in the woods searching for snakes n stuff. As he was teaching something related to nature i was hooked to it. Suddenly my concentration was diverted as my mobile was vibrating. i saw a message n it was from sharath. the message was ".... ram,how many times i begged u to see me last hour.... u never turned up.... pls spend sometime for ur friend too...don just spend time only with ur love..." and i got another message from him saying " dude i can feel my Blood pressure shooting up like anything...there r chances i may collapse in the class". Now i came to know that he is in class. I just turned around and i saw him crying with his faced red and bloated. He was shivering and after seeing me he literally collapsed on the bench. ' thud' the sound echoed and the professor noticed him falling. I told him that my friend is not well and i need to speak to him so grant me permission. the professor being a nice human allowed us both and asked him whether he was not well. sharath replied " sir, its nothing physical, its all mental trauma of that i am undergoing". i took out my crying friend sharath and asked him what had happened.I thought it was his usual stressful life he is leading. whenever i see him he will be stressed because of the college n he always says "we r going in a path without knowing where it will lead. we need to do something related to our passion soon etc etc" he is a typical workaholic. After he reaches home he sits before his comp working on pictures n studying something related to wildlife. today he totally broke down. i know something wrong had happened.i asked him. this is wat he said......
Ram " i got a call from my mom, dude. They consulted a sri lankan astrologer it seems. The astrologer told that i should not be into wildlife photography and i should not aim to become a good naturalist because the planetary positions tells that being a naturalist, knowing about wildlife will spoil my life and instead i should get into some academic stuff deviating to genetics etc and pursue a life in that, and the astrologer also said that i am badly influenced by my friends and my well wishers. and the most funniest part was that the astrologer told my parents not to get me married before i am 35" and that i am having a girl friend from last december.
i couldn stop my laugh when he said the last stuff. but then i controlled and listened to him.
"......so because of all this my mom is going to be with me here in chennai and monitor my activities to make sure that i dont concentrate on wildlife. My equipment will be locked. Freedom is cut. I shouldn read books related to wildlife. i shouldn meet people related to wildlife and i should only concentrate in academic stuff like genetics, molecular biology etc. wat stupid astrolger he is ram... who the hell is he to decide wat i should do.... passion is determined by interest and its not the astrologer who should say what i should be doing in life. watever we do we should be happy in doing it. people think We all study and join a company just to earn money for a prosperous life. life is not just money... its more than that... we follow our passion and ambition so that we can lead a peaceful life and feel very happy in what we r doing. i don know how the hell an astrologer can decicde about my life...... its kept on going n he started narrating about wat he will do if situation like this happens. from wat he spoke i know that he is a man who follows he passion and leads his life in his own terms.
and ram"last month our micro biology professor asked the students " friends, y is that we r studying all these subjects for three whole years" 95% of the students replied " TO MINT MONEY". i was shocked. as far as i know many people in my dept study zoology without knowing y we r studying. there is no burning passion and ambition in them. they have a very little knowledge on wats happening to this country. The topper of my class don know about the glasgow incident and the trial. he didnt know that india is playing a match with england. he just knows wat is a cell, technical stuffs on that etc...few of my friends in pondicherry university who r studying ecology and wildlife don even know about the actual tiger crisis in india...they r not aware that tigers r wiped out from sariska. I didnt mean to say that they should know about cricket match, blasts and current issues etc. u need to learn know more and not just stick to the book. some people's minds r like a cup filled with coffee. u cant fill more coffee unless u empty it or pour it. our mind is exactly like a cup of coffee.if we need to add coffee(knowledge) we must register required knowledge in our mind and pour the unwanted stuffs out. wat ever we study we must give it back in some way or the other to develop our nation and to do something to this country. it should not be just earning money. The purpose of life is a life of purpose. wat ever we do finally we should be happy in wat we r doing. Learn what u excel and what makes u happy. The real source of happiness can be stated in a single word: achievement. lasting happiness comes from steadily working to accomplish your goals and advancing confidently in the direction of your life's purpose. THIS SHOULD BE DETERMINED BY YOU WHO IS GONNA WORK AND NOT THE ASTROLOGER WHO IS NOWAY CONNECTED TO YOU.
This is wat he said in that fifteen minutes with his eyes like an image which is totally out of focus. he was lying down crying with his eyes completely drenched. he was telling me that he don know wat he is gonna do without his books and equpiment. he said he is gonna start from scrap and build up gradually. by saying this he moved out of the college with a great frustration.
The reason why i want to share this to u is to show how people r believeing in astrology and how its influencing ones's life very badly. i didnt mean to say that 'don't believe in astrology' its totally each person's own perceptive on viewing it. but my opinion is astrology and astrologers should not determine the passion and ambition of a person and it should not choose your life partner or wat u should do in your life etc.Everything in your life should be decided by u. people say astrologers fore tell the future but nowadays in this present world "FUTURE IS NOT WRITTEN. ITS IS MADE BY THE INDIVIDUAL". IF U LEAD YOUR LIFE WITH A SINGLE MINDED GOAL AND A PASSION TOWARDS IT,U WILL DEFINIELY ACHIEVE IT and such persons can see their future just infront of their eyes. This is my view on passion, achievement, goals, astrology etc. People who r contradicting my views r most welcome :) i am ready for a debate :) and one imporant thing i need to reveal to my blog readers is The person sharath is none other than me. This is wat is happening to me rite now. I wrote this stuff with a fully dejected state of mind . The person whom i mentioned as ram is my friend arun.

follow your passion,work with a perfect mind set with a goal in life,

current mood: depressed

ram.

1 comment:

siva said...

Hey ram,

I get the picture... Hmmm one thing I can really tell u is such things happen to people and yeah that doesnt matter.. Thing is its happening to u right now... It can be very frustrating when someone tries to barge in and decide what u should be doing in life right when u have realised ur passion and well on ur way at it!!! I totally agree with u in that astrologers shouldnt be telling us wat to do... Astrology according to me is a science which is being exploited and 'used'.. People try to appease their insecurities and doubts.. If its advice or help u r looking for... Here goes... Try and be less agressive... U can still be firm... Talk it out with ur parents... Tell them shifting fields is in no way going to do any good to u... First thing the time and energy that has been invested in building ur stand in wildlife photography now is going to become a colossal waste... And secondly nobody can really do something without their heart in it.. U r right there are a whole lot of people who r not sure y they have chosen their course or what they really can do with it... You r one among the few who take work seriously and show much fervour and love towards it... I really think u shouldnt be giving it up..
not for an astrologer or any gypsy forteller... There are people who r proud of u and ur ambition..(friends, cousins) Cmon my friends dont even 'think' about global warming or saving tigers... We sure need people to protect the earth.. Just as much as we need musicians and doctors and architects....

So... Its cool to be passionate about what we're doing.. I mean to even have a definite plan is good.. And its surely more confortable when the family supports it... When u dont get the support it can be very testing!!! But it surely doesnt mean u need to antagonise them (yes, it can be very hard not to!!!) Explain... Spend time with them.. Surely they r also interested in u and wat u do with ur life... Though at times they maybe seeking to fulfill their ambitions side tracking urs...

Guess I can say u have our support buddy!! U have little reason to fret...

Trying to help...

Siva